Adam J. Gumble, Conductor, is in his fourth year as the Director of Bands at Hempfield High School in Landisville, Pennsylvania. His responsibilities include direction of the Symphonic Band, Freshman Concert Band, Hempfield Marching Knights and Jazz Ensembles One and Two. In addition, Mr. Gumble also teaches Music Theory I as well as AP Music Theory at Hempfield High School. Under his direction, the bands at Hempfield have consistently earned awards and Superior ratings at concert, marching, and jazz festivals across the region. Mr. Gumble graduated Magna Cum Laude from West Chester University with a Bachelor of Music Education Degree in 2005, receiving the award for "Outstanding Senior in Teacher Education." He earned his Master's Degree in Music Education from Boston University in 2007 and is pursuing a Master's Degree in Wind Conducting from West Chester University. Like all of us, Mr. Gumble has been fortunate to have benefited from many excellent teachers and mentors throughout his musical career including Andrew Yozviak, John Villella, Frank Parker, Greg Martin, Kyle Glaser, and Jonathan Searfoss.
Mr. Gumble started his career as one of two band directors at the high school level in the Quakertown Community School District (Bucks County, PA). He directed the 9th Grade Concert Band, the "Panther" Marching Band, and the QCHS Jazz Lab. In addition, Mr. Gumble also taught instrumental music lessons and conducted the Concert and Jazz Bands at Tohickon Valley Elementary School. The Quakertown Community Freshman Center Concert Band was honored to have been selected to perform at the 2009 Pennsylvania Music Educators Association In-Service Conference in Valley Forge, PA.
Mr. Gumble maintains an active studio of private tuba, trombone, and euphonium students and has had numerous students selected to PMEA District, Region, and All-State Festivals. He is an active guest clinician for concert, marching, and jazz ensembles across the region. Mr. Gumble's affiliations include: MENC, PMEA, PBA, WASBE, ITEA, NEA, PSEA, HEA, Pi Kappa Lambda, and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. He is honored to have been nominated for Who's Who Among America's Teachers as well as a "Teacher Impact Award" through Central Pennsylvania's NBC affiliate, WGAL.
In his spare time, Adam loves to spend time with his beautiful wife Kelly and shichon dog Rollo. Kelly and Adam are avid sports fans and cinephiles that enjoy spending quality time with friends and family.
20 Random Facts:
1. I really want to go to Japan. It started with Japanese Disney World (if you don't know what that's all about I HIGHLY recognize checking out the website...it's like Disney World Orlando on steroids). I'm fascinated by the culture and the technology. If I could go anywhere in the world, it would be Japan.
2. I'm awful at golf. I took lessons when I was a kid and used to be pretty good (especially for my age), but I have gotten worse due to the fact that I don't practice. That being said, I really enjoy golfing and would like to take some more lessons and stop being horrendous.
3. I can spend an incredible amount of time doing one thing without getting bored. We're talking hours and hours. I actually get some sort of sick pleasure out of this - there's something awesome about sitting down and developing rehearsal plans for multiple hours on a Sunday night (weird).
4. Along those same lines, I will play video games from time to time and will literally spend 6 hours playing at a clip. This generally occurs late at night in the summer when Kelly has gone to sleep and lasts until the very early AM.
5. I went to elementary school with Ryan Grant of the Green Bay Packers. I actually beat him in a foot race in 5th grade. He got much stronger and faster. I got fatter and slower.
6. I can catch food in my mouth if it is thrown at me with a great deal of accuracy. My "mouth-eye" coordination is uncanny ;)
7. I design websites professionally and have since I was in high school. I've designed for real estate agencies, soccer associations, production companies, professional associations, and music arrangers. I currently maintain my own site (MrGumble.com) as well as www.vivaceproductions.com.
8. I truly miss college. I started some more grad work at West Chester and am jealous of all of the folks who are still living in that environment. My friend Jarred's right - we should've taken more advantage of our time as undergrads...
9. I believe in love at first sight - I met my fiancee on the first day of college and knew that she was "the one."
10. Due to the sticky qualities of sand and the discomfort involved with sunburn, I dislike the beach.
11. I had a mullet when I was in grade school. In fact, there are pictures of me in a Dallas Cowboys hat and a ridiculous mullet at my 8th birthday party. I was also a HUGE New York Mets fan as a kid because Darryl Strawberry had a funny name and a HUGE Cincinnati Bengals fan because they had the coolest uniforms. I became a Philadelphia sports fan in 1991 because my babysitter's cool older son (whom I looked up to) was a Phillies fan.
12. The biggest regret of my life is that I didn't finish the 2001 season with the Cadets.
13. Excluding band-related stuff, I generally don't get overly excited/disappointed/upset over many things. I have absolutely no idea why that is.
14. I have bad asthma. I'm also allergic to most dogs and seemingly all cats. I'm not allergic to Rollo, though! He's the best...
15. For most of my life I have been SERIOUSLY afraid of the dark. I think I'm pretty much over it, but I still freak myself out once in awhile. I also hate scary movies and being scared in general.
16. My parents named me Adam Joseph so I could be called "AJ". The only person who ever called me AJ was my Grandfather, and it was kinda cool. I think that my life would be drastically different if I went by AJ...
17. I was "Letter Winner of the Week" on the TV show "Great Sports Debate." My letter ripped sports radio host Howard Eskin. The guys on the show were hysterical and I won a GSD t-shirt. The host (Mike Missanelli) closed the segment by saying "and Adam Gumble is the reason why I hate little kids." I was 13.
18. I have a dog named Rollo. He is named after a piece of band music (David Maslanka's Rollo Takes a Walk). Seriously. There's a good chance that we'll play it sooner rather than later.
19. I am getting married to my lovely fiancee Kelly on July 18th.
20. I have no appendix. I wasn't born without one (double negative), but I had an appendicitus (sp?) when I was 13. Due to this, I have a hard time walking past "Cinnabon" in any mall.�
TV Show: The OfficeMovies: Too many to list!Food: Wings (hot, bbq, doesn't matter...)Color: Red and Black, baby!Sports Team: Phils, EaglesSeason: BAND SEASON!
Piece to Listen To: Raise the Roof (Michael Daugherty)
Piece to Perform: Dance Movements (Philip Sparke)
Piece to Conduct: Abracadabra (Frank Ticheli)
Composer: Changes Daily
Artist: John Mayer
Album: John Mayer Trio - Try
Song: Who Did I Think I Was? (John Mayer Trio)
Also Into: Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor, DMB, Metallica, Kanye West, Rage, Tower of Power, Youngblood Brass Band.
My iTunes playlist is eclectic :)
- Hanging with Friends
- Philadelphia Sports (I have been a Phillies season-ticket holder for three years now!)
- Fantasy Sports (Baseball, Football)
- Video Games (Xbox, Wii)